2008년 11월 1일 토요일

LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL(1997)

Director : Roberto Benigni
Casts : Roberto Benigni
Nicoletta Braschi
Giorgio Cantarini
Stars : 3.5/5

The title Life is Beautiful may be an irony, since this movie is about a family that gets dragged to a Nazi concentration camp. However, the title contains the struggles of Guido's attempts to keep up his son Gisoue's spirit.

Although I had some trouble understanding the conversations through the Italian accents of the voice casts, it was good enough for me to feel the human characters of each individuals in the movie. Guido, who is always filled with joy and optimism, and the doctor, who is obssessed with reels.

The movie has a very serene sadness. Gisoue's big, innocent eyes when encountering the tank at the end is absolutely heartbreaking. However, I may not be so involved with the movie as much as some other audiences who have more knowledge about the genocide. Additionally, the English accents gave me quite a bit of trouble getting through many conversations. Therefore, I would like to watch this movie again later, after I gain more cultural understanding about the plot. Overall, it is a simple, humanistic movie.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기